IGNORED

The Ps2

kamrantaz

Its the second best system EVAR (after the snes). It has a shitload of popular games and an even bigger shitload of hidden classics. Berserk has just been released and in a few weeks Ace COmbat 05 will be out. The GTA games are still some of the best out there and san andreas is gonna kick ass.

Its not the most powerful console any more but IMO its games have the best "art". Viewtiful joe 1 and 2 should be out soon and the first is at a budget price.... actually its the first console where budget games hasnt equelled shit games. Just look at gradius and pvsyvair and even those "light force" games which have been butchered.

With the redesign on the way soon, its going from strength to strength. Like the new BMW range, it looks ugly at first but then you begin to appriciate it more :)

Well, I agree with most of your sentiments here, except for the 'its going from strength to strength'. There hasn't been a single PS2 exclusive in the last year that I wanted to buy. I'm now looking forward to GTA:SA (although I'd prefer to play that on Xbox), and Ico 2 (which will take a while). And that's about it. While the PS2 is/was a great machine, I feel it's over it's peak. It's glory days more or less ended when the Xbox actually became very good (which is now about 2 years ago). Fortunately it still has some arty and strange Japanese stuff going for it, which you will never find on Xbox (or GC for that matter).

Something, in the back of Alex W.'s mind, snaps violently

BHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! NO! LET'S NOT BE HONEST! FISH ARE BISCUITS! CARDBOARD CAN BE MADE INTO AMUSING RADIO PLAYS! HILARIOUS ORANGES BACKFLIP INTO NINE-IRON BASKETS!

THERE WILL BE NO MORE "LET'S BE HONEST"! ONLY KICKING!

BLAaaaeuuurgh.

*Wakes up*

*Collects clothes from a washing line, leaves behind some money on a clothes peg*

Edit- seriously, though, "Let's be honest" used to mean "I've got a controvertial opinion on something, but I'm going to reason out my argument and you'll see it's the obvious truth". These days it means "Love in".

Ace Combat 5 = March '05 apparantly. That means the only games on the PS2 that interest me between now and Xmas are GT4 and San Andreas. The former I'm entirely skeptical about, as I'm just not sure if I want even more of the same. And where are the bloody in-game screenshots?! As for San Andreas, I'm almost, almost tempted to just cancel my pre-order and wait for the innevitable, and innevitably better Xbox version next year. Hmm.

Its the second best system EVAR (after the snes).

You went downhill from there. It's a shite system, a mass-market piece of shit for people who don't actually like games. It doesn't do anything particularly well, it's a videogaming Ford Focus. They're everywhere, but that doesn't mean they're actually any good.

The SNES was made by people who were fanatical about videogames. So many classic genre's and titles were created on it. There's no comparison. The machine has probably 2 classics to its name.

I'd actually say the quality of software that the order runs:

1. Gamecube
  2. XBox
  3. PS2

The PS2 has just rehashed other genre's that it's kid brother (and other consoles before it) invented before it. All credit to Sony for trying out Eye-Toy, but it's hardly setting the world on fire is it? Other than that, they've achieved nothing, and it will be possibly one of my least fondly remembered consoles when it dies. PS1 pisses on it by comparison.

The PS2 has just rehashed other genre's that it's kid brother (and other consoles before it) invented before it.

Yes, because the XBox and GC invented new genres.

rolljones.jpg

Go away and play some PS2 games and come back when you have more than preconceptions about the system and some strange mental heirarchy.

ll be playing AC05 next week... out on the 21st in japan smile.gif

Curse you import gamers :) Maybe it's just as well it's not due here for so long, arriving in Spring will give me an ideal chance to try the series out good and proper. I fear it would get lost amongst the glut of big-name releases if I had to try and tackle this in Nov/Dec.

The new design tempts me to buy a PS2. The huge software library, which I know contains lots of good games.

But then I rack my brain trying to think of any that would justify buying ANOTHER console and having to put up with that controller.

It's the same 'holding pattern' that I got into with the Dreamcast for a long time.

It's the same 'holding pattern' that I got into with the Dreamcast for a long time.

Ah, the holding pattern. I've been in that state about the XBox for about a year now.

I've finally decided that I'm going to get a Crystal XBox Halo 2 bundle.

For sure.

The PS2 has just rehashed other genre's that it's kid brother (and other consoles before it) invented before it.

What, like the GameCube? And the XBox? :(

Bah, Twinny Mind Swap.

Anyway, if you can't find good games on yer PS2, you ain't looking. I've got, oh, at least 20. So there. And I've completed all but 2 of them in a glee-soaked stupour. Plus I've got another 10 on the "pending" pile, between various old-school shooters, the odd mind-bending survival-voyeurism sim and several bemani titles that only got released over here because the PS2 had a big enough audience to warrant it.

2nd best console ever? I guess you forgot about the N64 which has 3 of at least the best games in the world ever and the Dreamcast.

Yes, the Dreamcast, with Shenmue, and, uh, SoulCalibur, and... err... Chu Chu Rocket... :( An, uh, bastion of gaming variety... :(

Yes, because the XBox and GC invented new genres.

rolljones.jpg

Go away and play some PS2 games and come back when you have more than preconceptions about the system and some strange mental heirarchy.

Eh?

I didn't say they did. I said they boast a far better lineup of quality titles.

I own a PS2. My opinion comes from owning and playing on one. I have no preconceptions.

MGS2 was not as good as the PS1 version.

GTA looks and plays terribly, the only interesting parts being the cut-scenes (which seem to be the only material used to sell the title, as the in-game graphics are horrendous). And don't get me started on the combat or car handling.

I consider Rez and Ico to be classics, and GT3 to be the bet driving game on the market. Those 3 aside, PS2 has very little going for it.

XBOX?

You're having a laugh aint ya?

Probably the most soulless and shite console in a long long time. The onyl redeeming features are the sega games which are shite compared to their old stuff, and ninja gaiden which refuses to run on my 3 week old system due to a software bug.

The PS2 is mass market but has more hidden gems and great games then the GC and XB put together and im a nintendo fanboy as well!

You have the best of capcom, konami, square enix, namco and other great japanese software cos. There are a shitload of great RPGs, 2D shooters and indeed 2D games to keep you busy. It has everything you could want.

XBOX?

You're having a laugh aint ya?

Probably the most soulless and shite console in a long long time. The onyl redeeming features are the sega games which are shite compared to their old stuff, and ninja gaiden which refuses to run on my 3 week old system due to a software bug.

The PS2 is mass market but has more hidden gems and great games then the GC and XB put together and im a nintendo fanboy as well!

You have the best of capcom, konami, square enix, namco and other great japanese software cos. There are a shitload of great RPGs, 2D shooters and indeed 2D games to keep you busy. It has everything you could want.

Except a decent FPS...

*Walks off whistling*

I'm going to buy one of the new redesigned ones after not really having much interest in the PS2 before. I know there's a lot of rubbish out there on the gaming front, but then I will get the pleasure of playing games like Ico for the first tme. Not to mention a whole load of good RPG's.

I didn't say they did. I said they boast a far better lineup of quality titles.

So, in other words, you decided to back up your argument that:

It's a shite system, a mass-market piece of shit for people who don't actually like games. It doesn't do anything particularly well, it's a videogaming Ford Focus.

and

Other than that, they've achieved nothing, and it will be possibly one of my least fondly remembered consoles when it dies. PS1 pisses on it by comparison.

...by stating that the PS2 is worse than the XBox and GC because it "didn't invent any genres", while still maintaining that the same applies to the XBox and GC as well?

Hold up, didn't you say the other day that you'd never even seen/touched an xbox in the flesh, let alone played the games?

Yep. I own a PS2 and a Gamecube, and I've read reviews and looked at the software available on XBox. The number of quality titles outweighs that of PS2. The PS2 is mass-market shite.

I've read reviews and looked at the software available on XBox

So you're basing your views on the XBox's software on critical opinion, and your views on the PS2's software on your own?

Wouldn't it make more sense for you to compare the XBox and PS2 software's critical reception instead?

Except a decent FPS...

*Walks off whistling*

If it aint goldeneye, it aint worth playing!

I thought we got past the "DC is better than the PS2" arguement? The DC is the biggest dissapointment ever! Bar Jetset radio and Sould Calibur, it had nothing to compete with the PS1 gameplay wise!

Anyone who states chuchu rocket gets a slap!

Face it punks. The PS2 rocks. HARD.

Oh and bing... werent you saying the same about the GC a year ago? Last christmas you were beating off to the PS2